Monday, September 19, 2016

Relationships take work...

I'm reading this book...well, I'm reading lots of books right now.  Actually...I stopped and counted... I am actively reading 5 books currently.  Well, not at this very moment (obviously) ;)  you know what I mean...

So I'm reading this book and taking this class at my church and it's actually about marriage...but I figured  "hey...I plan to be married one day so...I'm down."  The first class was tonight and this is my take-away from it: Relationships require work.  Love requires work. 

I see that and think...well...obviously.  No relationship just happens.  In order for people to be "in a relationship" there must be sort of connection.  This book points out how at the beginning of a relationship...you make a specific effort to make time for the other person.  You might sacrifice time that was previously spent doing something else to spend time getting to know this other person. 

Unfortunately, once you get comfortable with the relationship...you can start to take it for granted.  Maybe not set aside so much time for that person.  Maybe you don't make so many sacrifices.  The point is that in order to have a healthy marriage, you must continue putting effort, work into the relationship.  You must continue making time for your spouse whether you are just married...or you've been together for 20 years.

Now... Here is what's on my mind tonight.  Reading all that and listening to it.  My mind says - yeah, we all know.  Love doesn't just happen.  Love is a choice that we make.  I know all this...it makes sense...
But then...driving home I was thinking of something.

I struggle to spend time with God.  I will think about how I want to do that...spend time alone with God everyday, read my Bible...  But then I don't do it.  I just don't make time. 
So...I was talking to God about this on my way home and I realized...I am basically just waiting for it to happen.  Waiting for the day when I wake up and suddenly just have such a strong desire to spend time with God that I do it. 

But how is that any different than not putting any effort into  relationship and expecting it to grow and thrive? 

So here is another example...
Say there's a guy who is interested in me...he is going to make an effort to talk to me, get to know me...   If I am interested in this man... am I going to remain silent?  Or am I going to make an effort to talk to him and get to know him?

Obviously I am going to make an effort.  I am going to talk to him and spend time getting to know him.  It is a choice that I make...it doesn't happen on accident.  So...why don't I do that with God?

An obvious answer could be that it's easier to make time for a human that I can see and audibly hear...but God is no less real.  He is speaking to me.  He makes an effort to engage me daily, and I do talk to Him daily...but I don't stop and spend time with Him.  He wants me to stop what I am doing sometimes and just sit with Him. 

In many ways...I still consider myself a "baby" Christian.  I have been friends with Jesus for about...7 years now.  I've said it before...but it's worth repeating... my life has been transformed since I started a relationship with Jesus.  And the transformation continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment