Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Another year, another birthday...

Yesterday was my birthday...and my day was so full that I didn't have time to do more than think about a blog post.

I realized something yesteryday - out of my last four birthdays - only one has been spent in the U.S.A.  January 11th, 2013 I was in Poipet, Cambodia - on my very first, ever mission trip...I remember how wonderful that day was and how I thought "I'll probably never spend another birthday outside the U.S."  Three years later...I'm having my second birthday here in Tanzania, and my third birthday outside the U.S.

I'm pretty sure that I said last year was my best birthday yet...but this year...it was my best birthday yet...and, you know what?  I think God delights in making each birthday more special than the last.

This year I spent my birthday with a big group of friends...we went to a hot spring about 2 hours from home and got to swim at one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life.  It's breathtaking...this beautiful blue-green water that is so clear...you can see all the way to the bottom.  It's truly amazing and mind-blowing...to be so blessed that I get to witness something like that.  God is good.

In some ways this birthday felt different than past birthdays...I have this feeling of expectancy right now.  I feel like God is doing some huge things in my life and preparing the way for some even "hug-er" things :)

As 2015 came to an end and 2016 has been getting started...I am filled with excitement for what this year holds.  I have this feeling that big changes are coming...I don't know what they are, but I know God does and I know he's got great plans for me...so I'm thrilled to see what's coming.

The last time I felt this excited and expectant...I was 2 months away from finding out that I would be moving to Tanzania (not even knowing that moving here was even a possibility...just having that "something big is coming" feeling).  I am so excited to follow God on the path that he has for me and see what is in store.

This feels like a good time to share that...this past year God asked me to make a difficult choice.  I felt like God asked me to walk away from something that I really wanted...and I can't tell you how hard it's been.  But I knew in my heart I was hearing from God and I made a choice to follow him even though it was painful, and still is.

Sometimes following the path that God is laying out before me feels easy - Fly to Cambodia? SURE!  Go to Nicaragua? YES!  Move to Tanzania?  YEAH!!!  But sometimes it's really hard, and kind of painful.  So...at this moment...I am thankful for the expectancy and excitement that I have for whatever God has in my future...even if the path to it bruises me a bit. 

God told me at the beginning of 2015 that I would learn to trust him and rely on him in ways I never had before...and that has certainly come to pass.  I am thankful that he never leaves my side...no matter what.

I wonder what January 11th, 2017 will look like?  I bet it'll be my best birthday yet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment