Sunday, October 12, 2014

1,000 words...




I want to just share some random pictures that I have taken since being here in Tanzania!!!  I promised a post with pictures…and here it is!   :)

This is Banana Stew – we had this for lunch one day at school and at first I was a little wary.  Who puts bananas in stew?  But it’s good!  These bananas are probably more like plantains, it wasn’t sweet at all…it was sort of like a potato.

Here is Settie (she has rice on her nose from dinner) our faithful guard dog!  She relentlessly prowls the yard, keeping an eye out for *any* suspicious creatures, big or small.  She is really sweet though and is always eager for a pat on the head (which I will gladly give her if I am headed *in* to the house and can wash my hands)  :)  every now and then she will forget that she’s an outside dog and try to come in the house.

These little dried fish go in with rice and beans to make Settie’s meals.  They smell like…fish…little dried fish…and she loves them.  It’s kind of entertaining to see her delicately picking the fish out of her dinner.

This cool looking bug tried to dive bomb into my hair while I was sitting at the picnic tables at school…but slammed into the table instead.  I snapped a few pictures while he recovered.  He was big and loud!  I heard his buzzing as he flew in and moved just in time.

An adorable little lizard baby snuck in the house (shhh…don’t tell Settie) and tried to make a home in my yarn.  I caught him and placed him (gently…don’t call peta) outside…well I actually tricked him into running into a cup and then placed the cup (gently) outside.  I tried to explain to him that I was helping him out…but he wouldn’t exit the cup.  So the cup stayed on my window sill lol

We pasteurized our own cow’s milk!   
I was nervous at first because I was afraid 
I would ruin it or boil it too long…but It 
was fairly easy.  Fresh cow’s milk is cheaper 
here than the boxed milk and most certainly 
tastes better.  It actually tastes better than 
any milk I’ve had before. 
 





This is one the amazing avacados 
we have had here – they are huge!   
They are also pretty cheap.
about 1,000 shillings each, 
which is about 75 cents US.   
Aaaaannnnddddd 
the homemade tortilla chips 
that to go with the guacamole 
that came from the avocado!!!   
This was my first time making 
my own tortillas!!!  Woohoo :)


When we walked out of the hospital (where I had my broken tooth fixed) there is this drop off into a ravine that was covered with trees…it looked like a sea of green leaves.  This picture doesn’t really show it – but this view is looking over that ravine and across to a hill or part of the mountain.  The hospital was up the mountain a bit so there were some amazing views on the drive up…so breathtaking.

I will end with this picture!  This was exciting!!!  Getting my residence permit :)  It came so fast!!!  There are people here who applied a year ago and just now got theirs…I got mine in a few weeks.  I was so excited to get my passport back with the stamp in it!  It’s official...passport stamp and all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment